Important Information and Resources

Your Two Sets of Advisers: College & Department

College Advisers & Preceptors

These advisers provide overall support, and will help you:

  • Explore academic interests
  • Plan general courses
  • Monitor your academic standing and progress
  • Understand university policy

Major Advisers

These advisers provide support for major and minor programs, and will help you:

  • Understand major requirements, prerequisites, and how to plan courses for your major
  • Review the major requirements you’ve already satisfied with transfer courses and AP exams
  • Declare your major
  • Weigh options for graduate school

Your Right to Privacy

Your academic records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and University Policy.

Because of these policies, your advisers can only release information about your academic record to you; they cannot release specific information to your friends, parents or the public. Advisers will also generally only respond to emails sent from your email address.

Grades and Academic Standing

  • You must earn a C (2.0) or higher in a class to earn major or general education credit, or to satisfy a prerequisite.
  • Some departments require letter grades in classes for the major. Some require specific grades or GPAs to be allowed to declare the major. Be sure to research your intended major’s requirements.
  • If your grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be on academic probation (or worse!). Please see an adviser at your college immediately if anything is affecting your ability to do well in your classes.
  • When you graduate, your record will be evaluated for honors. Prior to graduation, students are evaluated for Dean’s Honors on a quarterly basis. For more information about honors and awards at UC Santa Cruz, see

Full-Time vs. Part-Time Schedule

Full-time students are expected to enrol in and pass 15 credits per quarter in order to make good academic progress. Students who wish to take fewer than 15 or more than 19 credits in a quarter should consult a college adviser. Students with qualifying conditions may apply for “part-time” status (see Undergraduate Part-Time Program). Twelve credits is considered full-time for financial aid and, typically, for insurance purposes.

Additional Resources

MyUCSC Portal
My.UCSC is the site you’ll use to search for and enroll in classes and track your academic progress.

UCSC Advising Site
For information about UCSC resources, opportunities, policies, and academic planning.

UCSC General Catalog
Includes descriptions of all majors at UCSC, course descriptions, and academic policies.

UCSC Academic Calendar
Includes all annual and quarterly deadlines.

The Navigator
Includes policy and procedural information in an easy-to-read format.

AP/IB Chart
Check your scores and see what requirements they may satisfy.

Office of the Registrar
Includes information about enrollment, fees, and special programs.

Office of Admissions
Includes information about admissions requirements and general UCSC information.

Learning Support Services
Information about tutoring and other support available to UCSC students.

Career Center
Information about internships and career advising resources at UCSC.

Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
Information about applying for and receiving financial aid and scholarships.

Disability Resource Center
Information about resources available to students with disabilities.

Counseling and Psychological Services
Information about counseling and psychological services available to UCSC students.

Educational Opportunity Programs
EOP provides a variety of academic and personal support programs.

Undergraduate Research Opportunities
A central clearing house of research/involvement resources, opportunities and support.