Declaring Your Major

You may declare a major as early as you would like, if you have decided which major to pursue and have satisfied prerequisites or qualification requirements (if any) for the major.

Students who enter UCSC as frosh are required to be formally declared in a major before enrolling in their third year (or equivalent). Upper division transfer students are required to be declared in a major by the deadline in their second term at UCSC.

To declare a major:

  1. Download the Petition for Major/ Minor Declaration.
  2. Identify the procedures for declaring your major by using the "Department Processes" link on the left. Some programs will ask that you attend an orientation, meet with an adviser, or bring some information or documents with you. Review the online information about the major and its requirements prior to meeting with your adviser or attending the orientation, so you can prepare questions and make informed decisions.
  3. If you are planning a double major or major/minor program, you will need to go through both advising office’s processes, and will need to file a UCSC Academic Planning Form. Advisers from both programs will sign both your Petition for Declaration of Major and your Academic Planning Form.
  4. If you are unable to complete requirements by the end of your Expected Graduation Term (go to your MyUCSC Student Center and click on “Student Advising Summary” and then the “Degree” tab to see your official Expected Graduation Term), you will complete a UCSC Academic Planning Form and visit your college at the end of the process to request an adjustment or extension of your Expected Graduation Term. See the link to the left called "College Processes" for information about the process for requesting an adjusted EGT at your college.
    Please note that the Expected Graduation Term for most students reflects one extra quarter beyond what they will need to complete requirements.  You do not need to have your Expected Graduation Term adjusted if you are planning to graduate before the term indicated; if you need to attend after this term, however, it is very important you contact your college to request an adjustment or extension.
The UCSC Academic Planning Form is not a contract.  Students are responsible for verifying course availability, and for satisfying all program and University requirements as described in the applicable UCSC General Catalog.