Transfer Credit

Taking courses at another institution during the summer or while on a leave can be a good way to continue making progress toward your degree.  The Office of Admissions determines whether courses taken at different institutions are transferable to a student's UCSC record, and whether they satisfy general education requirements.  Major departments determine whether courses deemed transferable from another institution will satisfy major or minor requirements.

To identify if courses at California Community Colleges are transferable to UCSC and if they satisfy general education or major requirements, use the statewide ASSIST website.   For information about the transferability of courses you hope to take at institutions other than California Community Colleges, file a Proposed Program Evaluation request through the UCSC Admissions website.  Please note that it can take up to four weeks for a response to your proposed program evaluation, so it is wise to begin this process early.  For information about whether a transferable course will satisfy a requirement for your major, contact an advisor for your major.

If you have questions about transfer credit for courses you have already taken and that have already been evaluated by the Admissions Office, request a review by filing a Review of Transfer Credit (RTC)Please note that new students may not see their transfer credit posted in their Academic Advisement Report until the end of their first quarter.   

After you have completed course work at another institution, request that an official transcript be sent to:
Office of the Registrar
University of California
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

When the evaluation is complete, the transfer credit will be posted to your academic record. You may view the information on MyUCSC.

There are important limitations on transfer credit that you should be aware of -- see The Navigator for more extensive information.